56 Field Engineer Squadron (56 FES)
56 Engineer Squadron is an independent unit of the Canadian Military Engineers located in St. John's, NL. The squadron is located in the former U.S Army Base of Fort Peperrel now called Pleasantville. Squadron lines are located in Bldg 310.
56 Engineer Squadron Unit History
56 Engineer Squadron (formally 56 Field Engineer Squadron) was formed on 24 October, 1949 based at Buckmaster’s Field in St. John’s. The strength of the unit after the first year was three officers and 47 non-commissioned members. It was, with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, one of the first militia units formed in Newfoundland after Confederation.
The Squadron’s role is to be able to provide two fully functional and operational Field Engineer Troops to augment the regular force when required.
The Squadron has carried out numerous bridge construction projects within Newfoundland and Labrador located in such places as, the Fox Island River, Port Blandford, Dyke’s River, Gros Morne National Park, Quidi Vidi Lake and Manuals River bridges. Other notable unit constructions have been rappel towers located in Stephenville, Grand Falls/Windsor, and Cambrai Range in Bay Roberts; and a rifle range situated at Upper Indian Pond on the west coast for 2nd BN Royal Newfoundland Regiment. The jewel achievement more recently was the reconstruction of Quidi Vidi Battery.
The Squadron is a proud and highly motivated unit, having won many prestigious awards for excellence, including the Gzowski Cup for the most outstanding Engineer unit in Canada and the Hertzberg Trophy, for the best engineer project
56 Engineer Squadron
Commanding Officer: Major Rick Nolan
Deputy Commanding Officer: Captain Tim Park
Sergeant Major: Master Warrant Officer Roger Dewland,
Unit Strength: 110 all ranks,
Role: Field Engineer Squadron,
Mission: Combat engineer operations,
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
This is the unit crest: